Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club

 Match Reports

Kev Monks


Heath Hayes 0-2 Coventry Sphinx 
Sphinx: O'Neill, Ritson, Jackson, Bannister (Dyke 89), Guest, Hill, Galdins (Johal 95), Rhodes, White, Cutting (Edmund 73), McNally.Subs: Muldoon, Holmes. 

Heath Hayes: Bowen, Maddox, Littler, Simpson (Marklew 73), Phillips, Baggott, Colison (Wallis 73), Smith, Green, Waple, Deguille-Cross (Deakin off 50). Subs McNulty, Dunlevy,  

Goals Kiam Galdins 33, Louis Guest 54
Super Coventry Sphinx put in an excellent team performance to win 2-0 at at Heath Hayes tonight 

At the Coppice Ground on a cold night, the home side were on the attack early with a corner after ninety seconds and a Deguille-Cross curler going just over.

In the 12th minute, Louis Guest played Sphinx, who had former Tamworth player Josh Johal on the bench, out of trouble. Kiam Galdins picked out McNally whose shot across the goal went not far wide.

Simpson and Smith both fired wide as did Matt Bannister, who along with the likes of White, McNally and Galdings were making some  good runs and putting pressure on the home defence. 

On the half hour mark, O'Neil made a great save with his feet to deny Waple. But Sphinx got the ball back and in the 33rd minute, Kiam Galdins created space and sank a left footed shot into the bottom corner of the net, delighting the travelling support. 

Sphinx continued to have the better of the play but in the 40th minute, they were grateful to keeper Carl O'Neill blocking from Smith and then punching away the resulting corner.

Luke Hopkins side were straight at Heath Hayes as the second period resumed with a corner and a McNally shot which the keeper fumbled before it was cleared.

A corner followed in the 54th minute. Kyle Rhodes knocked it back to Louis Guest who made it 2-0 with a drive from the edge of the area.

Ten minutes later, Sphinx had the ball in the net for a third time when  Cutting stroked into an empty net. Unfortunately, the goal was ruled out for offside.

it did not deter Sphinx who stuck to their task. Sphinx were able to defend when required and Ricky Hill made a great clearance off the line in the 71st minute to stop Green.

Sphinx, were always looking for a third goal and responded with a number of chances including two for substitute Danny Edmund and one in the 86th minute which saw Harry White unlucky with a low drive which the keeper somehow scrambled away for a corner.

Five minutes of stoppage time was added on but Sphinx, who face Banbury United in a Birmingham Senior Cup Quarter-Final at Sphinx Drive on Thursday, remained firm, ensuring that covering tackles were made and left with a well deserved victory.




Sphinx: O’Neill, Ritson, Hill (K.Johal 73), Bilic, Atkins, Guest, Galdings (Dyke 79), Rhodes, White, Cutting (Edmund 71), Jackson. SNU J.Johal, Connolly


Banbury; Fordam, Cray, Plowright, Rose (Locker 71), Bailey, Agyemang-Prempe, Stelling (sent off 43), Martin, Jalabi (Poppiatt 79), Dumbleton, Hopkins. SNU Howerds, Stickley



ATT 53

Goals Stefan Bailey (12), Harry White (16 & 51), Ricky Cutting (67), Kiam Galdings (73), Kwame Fordam (og 78)


Booked Jackson  Sent off Stelling 43

Coventry Sphinx are through to their first ever Birmingham Senior Cup Semi-Final after a 5-1 home victory over a ten man Banbury United side.Both sides had 2-0 victories in their league fixtures on Tuesday night and Luke Hopkins made a couple of changes, one enforced due to the injury to Matthew Bannister whilst the Puritans fielded a team a strong team of first team and reserves

It was a bitterly cold night at Sphinx Drive but there was plenty going on the pitch with a chance for both sides inside the opening sixty seconds.As we reached the eleventh minute, referee Kevin Andrews pulled up and required treatment to his right leg. Play was delayed for ten minutes and with Mr Andrews suffering from what appeared to be a cartilage injury, he was replaced by Paul Hands with Sphinx Deputy Secretary Shaun Bivens taking over the assistant refereeing duties.

When play resumed, the Puritans took the lead when Stefan Bailey hooked home from a corner.However, their lead was only to last four minutes as an attack down the left saw the ball sent over for Harry White who fired home at the far post to restore parity.Banbury might have had a penalty in the 22nd minute for a foul on Ryan Plowright but two minutes before the interval, the Puritans were reduced to ten men when Sean Stelling was red carded for a dangerous tackle on Ashley Jackson.  

Harsh it may have been but the visitors were down to ten men and a Sphinx side, who were playing some good football made their numerical advantage count in the second half Six minutes after the restart, Luke Hopkins side took the lead when Harry White steered a telling shot on the right past Fordam to delight the frozen Sphinx support. Sphinx, who had swapped the hard working Ricky Hill for Kyran Johal, kept creating chances and in the 67th minute, it was 3-1 when Ricky Cutting was sent away and flashed the ball past the keeper.

Cutting could have had another when he flicked just over before being replaced after a good night’s work in the 71st minute.Two minutes later and a fourth goal for Sphinx duly arrived. This time, it was courtesy of Kiam Galdings, who brilliantly volleyed in from ten yards.Kwame Fordam denied White with his feet but in the 78th minute, Banbury were well and truly caught napping when the visiting keeper could only push a Jackson corner into his own net.

There could have been more goals with chances for Man Of The Match Harry White and substitute Danny Edmund as super Sphinx ran out worthy winners and booked a home semi-final with Hednesford Town.


In the Press: